Seed Stitch Washcloths


During our loooonnnggg drive to and home from Colorado a couple of weeks ago, I had plenty of time to work on my next afghan - which I can't show you for a while :( But, I needed a break from it at times and decided to work up these quick little washcloths. They are perfect additions to some Bath and Body Works gifts I am giving soon. Just a little personal touch.


These use the seed stitch, which I fell in love with a few months ago. Found it on Pinterest. I am so very basic in what crochet stitches I know. For years, I stuck to the single, double, half-double, and triple stitches. The most I varied, was to combine the stitches, alternating rows. I thought that was it, unless I wanted to try filet crochet. Filet crochet intimidates me, so I didn't venture past the basic stuff. I am getting a little more adventurous. My tunisian crochet Valentine's Wreath was a first step. I also enjoyed making broomstick lace afghans, many years ago. So, I think I am ready to try some different stitches. Starting with the Seed Stitch.

Pattern Breakdown:
You will basically interchange the single and double crochet stitches. Determine the width you want your finished project to be (minus any trim or edging you want to add, rounded edging adds 2/3 inch and double crochet edging adds 1 1/2 inches) and chain an even number to that width, plus one turning chain. Then, in the second stitch from the end, start with a single crochet, followed by a double crochet. Repeat single, then double, across. You will finish with a double crochet. Chain one turning stitch, then turn and repeat the same process to end. I didn't count my rows (sorry), but if you want a square, then, as you work, simply fold the piece diagonally, corner to corner until coordinating sides meet evenly. I used the same trim as in the Color Block Afghan on the bright colored cloth, then just a double crochet trim on the neutral one.


So simple, but looks so cool! 

Here is the pattern I came up with.

Supplies:
Peaches & Creme or Sugar & Creme (1 skein makes one washcloth)
H hook for tight stitches (bright cloth), I hook for looser stitches (neutral cloth)
Large yarn needle to weave in ends

Abbreviations:
ch - chain
sc - single crochet
dc - double crochet
sl - slip stitch

H hook (I hook)
Ch 31 (29). Turn, or create foundation row. Row 1: In second stitch from the end *sc, dc in next chain*. Repeat between *s across to end (should finish with a dc in last stitch), ch 1 for turning stitch. Turn and repeat row 1 to end (the length you desire). Do not finish off.

Rounded Edging: You will begin trim along the side of the washcloth. Place stitches along side in approximately the same spacing as you would if there was a chain to stitch into. Chain 2, sl into same stitch, ch 1, dc in first stitch along the side, sl into same stitch, ch 1 (this will be repeated on each corner). [*Dc, sl, ch1*. Repeat between *s along the side to last stitch, then place both the dc and sl in the last stitch, then ch 1, and repeat in the first stitch of the next side]. Repeat between [] to last corner. Complete the last stitch the same as all sides, sl into top of ch 2, and finish off. Weave in ends.

Double-Crochet Edging: Ch 2, [dc length of side. Place 2 dc in last stitch and 2 dc in first stitch of next side.] Repeat between [] around. Sl into ch 2, finish off. Weave in ends.

The washcloth will shrink about half an inch or more all the way around.

These are fun to make and a cute addition to your guest bath decor. Be sure to add them to your next housewarming gift or Bath and Body Works gift like I did.



Comments

Popular Posts