Canvas Gifts

Canvas Photo Art is so fun and easy to make. I took the technique described in my post Canvas Photo Art - by Renata and tweaked it a bit for several collage pieces. I was inspired by a Flickr site of letters from  Leo Reynolds' photostream Collections. What is so cool about this site is the huge number of photos of letters from many different sources like signs, engravings, print, and objects. I also reproduced the original process for two prints using typographic art I found online, and one I created with typed words on an image of wood.

To begin, I tested the collage print process with my own photos.

Then moved on to make a few more.

Here is the process.
Collage Photo Art supplies used:
18 x 24 inch canvas
20 x 26 in (approx.) fabric piece
Photo prints (here I used photos cut out of our Christmas card - the others used 4 x 6 prints)
Stickers (or printed words)
Scrap paper
Mod Podge
Sponge brush

I printed the photos and letters at Walgreens. Using a quick print site like Walgreens is great for the photos, but limited the size options available for the letters. The original images are square, and the only print options available were rectangular, meaning they would be cropped, losing part of the image. Therefore, I chose to print them as cards (using a simple card on which the image is square). I then cut of the card greeting leaving the image intact.

Begin by cutting your fabric to the size needed to cover the front of the canvas and wrap over the edges and back of the canvas frame. Be sure the fabric pattern runs the direction you like before cutting. (You may notice mine should run vertical, but is horizontal - oops - don't make that mistake!)

Apply mod podge to the canvas front and lay the fabric over smoothing out any wrinkles. Be careful not to stretch the fabric. 

Flip the piece over and apply the mod podge to the edges and back of the canvas frame in sections (so it does not dry before you wrap the fabric) and then wrap the fabric around the edges and back, again, not stretching the fabric. 

The corners will need extra modpodge. I chose to the meet the sides of the fabric at the corners then fold the excess over the corner.

This is a good time to apply an extra coat of mod podge over the fabric on the edges and back of the frame (no pic because I did it later making it a bit difficult to dry). Allow this coat to dry, be sure the front is not sticking to your work surface. I used a laundry drying rack which came in handy when working on multiple canvases.

While this dries, you can trim your photos and letters, place the stickers you want on the scrap paper (I tore the paper for effect). You might also want to put some photos on paper as I did.

Once the edges and back are dry, flip over and lay out your photos, paper scraps and stickers.

Apply mod podge to the back of each piece one at a time. If any overlap, be sure to glue the bottom piece first. Then apply mod podge over the entire front of the canvas in only one direction (for me that was vertically), using long strokes from edge to edge. Allow to dry completely.

Then apply mod podge in the opposite direction with the same technique. Allow to dry completely.

And, you are finished!

Here are the other three canvases I made. I used 8 x 10 canvases. 

The first two were for my nephews of their favorite performers. These images were found through google and gave permission for reproduction. I like these pics (thanks to both of them for sending these since I forgot to take any), if you look closely, they both show the resulting texture from the mod podge.



For the last canvas, I typed the phrase I wanted (thanks DesignsBySyds for the inspiration) onto an image of wood I googled. I then followed the technique from Canvas Photo Art - by Renata.

I am really happy with how they turned out, and it seems my family enjoyed receiving them. I'd love to hear what gift you made.
This post has been linked up with these AWEsome parties: The 36th AvenueOne Artsy MamaChase The Star,  Shaken Together Life,  Seven Alive,  Tatertots and Jello, and Night Owl Crafting.

Comments

Popular Posts